ATEG Archives

December 2010

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2010 16:18:59 -0500
Dick,

It shows up in some other subordinate constructions, although I *think* they all have an element of negation or irrealis status ("I wonder when he'll ever finish that" / "If he were ever there, he would have known this"); I recall Quirk and Greenbaum having a section on this, but I don't have it handy (coffee shop posting).   I'm having trouble thinking of any examples in a main clause that don't sound archaic, but there are candidate expressions "He was ever the optimist/pessimist" and "It was ever thus." I suspect a lot of people would count those as fossilized, though.

--- Bill Spruiell