ATEG Archives

May 2013

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2013 19:04:06 +0000
Sergio,

You're in the midst of a long, intermittent discussion of the status of "that" in relative clauses.  Grammarians from Otto Jespersen to Rodney Huddleston have argued that relative "that" is, in fact, a subordinator and not a pronoun.  The substitution you suggest is misleading, because that-relatives behave differently from wh-relatives, in ways I can't go into just now.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University