ATEG Archives

September 2004

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:15:33 -0700
Craig,

"Determinative" isn't really a new category. It's an attempt to clarify
form and function by distinguishing the labels, since many works use the
term "determiner" for both. But even a surface glance at modern
linguistic treatments will show that "determiner" as most books use it
(i.e., what CGEL calls the "determinative") really is a lexical category.

The articles are members of that category. You can think of them as a
subset if you want, although it's a very small subset. The label
"article" hasn't been abandoned, though.

As to your note that 'this' and 'that' act as antecedents, notice that
your examples all use those demonstratives as the sole words in the noun
phrase. In that case, I'm inclined to call them pronouns too (although
CGEL doesn't). But that's a separate issue from their status when they
are determiners.

Compare "this book" with "his book." The two determiners don't, in fact,
move into this slot in the same way. 'His' is literally a pronoun. It
has an antecedent (George, etc.). But what's the antecedent of 'this' in
the phrase "this book"? The whole NP has a referent, but 'this' as a
determiner doesn't have an antecedent that can be distinguished from the
whole phrase, the way it can with 'his.' All 'this' does in "this book"
is pick out 'book' as definite and establish some sort of close spatial
relationship to the speaker. It's no more a pronoun here than 'the' is.

Karl

Karl Hagen
Department of English
Mount St. Mary's College