ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 19:20:16 -0700
Here's one piece of evidence that "Behind the table" is an actual
subject in the sentence under discussion: the verb "is" moves in front
of it to form a yes-no question:

Is behind the table where I looked?

Contrast that with the case with an unquestionable instance of inversion:

On the table is my book.
*Is on the table my book?