ATEG Archives

July 1996

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 13:31:32 -0700
Hello to colleagues on the ATEG list!

I am a new subscriber; I heard about the list through a posting to
another list that I belong to, the LINGUIST list.I'd like to introduce
myself, then ask questions about two current issues on my mind.

As you will see from my signature box below, I am at Cal Poly State U. in
California. I am a linguist in the English dept. there. I teach a varied
menu of courses in linguistics and English language, such as introduction
to linguistics; Modern English grammar, history of the English language,
etc. My students comprise mainly English majors and liberal studies
majors, with a sprinkling of others (journalism, human development); many
are headed into careers in the schools, teaching language arts or English.

Among my interests are some esoteric topics in theoretical linguistics,
and topics in 'applied' linguistics. The latter include achieving some
kind of connection between linguists and teachers of language arts and
the skills subsumed under 'grammar' at all levels of education, from
preschool through postgraduate. I am interested in new approaches to
teaching grammar, and in integrating dialect diversity into language arts
teaching.

I will now ask my two questions:

(1) Has anyone reviewed and responded to the language arts materials
currently under consideration for adoption in the CA school system?
Especially as regards grammar teaching? I have, and would like to compare
notes.
(2) Is anyone following the English-only legislation in Congress, and
responded to that in any way? I just got an update that action is
forthcoming on a bill in the House, and am about to put pen to paper to
write to Congress with my thoughts on the subject. Again, I would love to
compare notes.

A warning: I suffer from RSI*, which means I shouldn't type a lot. So my
to be. I can do long discussions by phone.

* Repetitive stress injury

Hope to hear from  you!

Johanna
Johanna Rubba   Assistant Professor, Linguistics              ~
English Department, California Polytechnic State University   ~
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407                                     ~
Tel. (805)-756-2184  E-mail: [log in to unmask]      ~