ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Linda Di Desidero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:42:41 -0400
That's really neat, Scott. And I think it's important to teach this while students are also beginning to learn foreign languages (though many schools  have taken that out of 7th grade curriculum) I also wonder about the notion of 'critical age', brain development, and learning grammatical categories. Most of my students who readily understand grammar had begun to learn the categories in middle school and they often really liked it.  Most students who never learned it and never understood it do have a harder time.

I am not aware of a formal poetry curriculum, but I have used poetry in my English grammar classes.
Browning's "Meeting at Night" is essentially a succession of noun phrases, for example, so it is great for creating NP trees.  "My Last Duchess" is great for teaching about deixis.

Linda

Linda Di Desidero, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Assistant Academic Director of Writing
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Boulevard, East
Adelphi, MD 20783