ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 07:49:00 -0600
Here is a query from the Linguist List that some of you might like to respond to.
Her e-mail address is sloosen (at) uwm.edu

Hello,

I am a high school English teacher working on my M.A. in Linguistics. I am
currently designing an elective Introduction to Linguistics course to be
taught at the 11th and 12th grade level. I am looking to find out if there
are any other courses being taught in American high schools that focus
primarily on Linguistics. I am also looking for additional resources to
help make Linguistics relevant to high school students.

I have chosen David Crystal's ''Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language'' as the
text for the course and am currently writing lesson plans for a
semester-long course.

I teach at Milwaukee School of Languages, a 6th-12th grade language
immersion school, and I am hoping to make this course a reality within the
next two years.

Any comments on programs that are already in place or advice on how to
proceed would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Suzi Loosen
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee