ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
"Glauner, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:41:32 -0500
You're welcome.  And don't kick yourself for not knowing this.  Pronoun case
forms in English are having a difficult time remaining in place.  The
reason?  They serve little practical purpose in communication because we
usually look to word order instead of word form for such syntactic
functions.  They are a vestige of old English which looked more to word form
than to word order.

Jeff Glauner
Associate Professor of English
Park University, Box 1303