ATEG Archives

August 2000

From:
Helene Krauthamer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:17:18 -0700
We're back, of course, to the fact that it is an
elliptical construction. The argument goes that since
the uncut version is

(3) My sister arrived at the movie theater before I
arrived at the movie theater.

all shortened versions should maintain the same
pronoun.

Of course, in natural speech we tend not to honor this
rule.  However, in the uncut version, as we like to
point out to students, we would never say

(4) * My sister arrived at the movie theater before me

http://im.yahoo.com/