ATEG Archives

December 2008

Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 01:55:09 -0500
1.  Over the fence is out.  Who or what is out?  "Over the fence"
Prepositional phrases can be subjects.

2.  I was baked a cake.  Who or what was baked? "a cake"

What is the function of 'I'  ""retained indirect object in the nominative
position"

3.  John is easy to please.  Who or what is easy?  "To please John"

Scott Catledge

The state tests for teachers are often ludicrous.  A group of us teachers
met at the break and discussed specific questions that either had no correct
answer or that had more than one correct answer.  Several of us wrote down
the problem questions on which all of us agreed were faulty and sent our
State Board requests to review the appropriateness of such a test.  I, for
one, received both a refusal to comment on any question and an accusation
of unethical behavior by discussing test questions.  My response that any
board member who had such an attitude was not only unethical but unfit to
hold the position; I further suggested that such a strong response itself
strongly suggested a personal financial interest.

They could not blackball me because I was taking the test at the request of
the Director of the private evening business school where I was teaching.
He liked my degrees and teaching experience but he wished for more academic
recognition for his faculty; he wished to one up the competition by stating
that all of his faculty not only held at least a BS but also had passed the
state teaching exam.

Date:    Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:11:42 -0800
From:    "Castilleja, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Clause or Phrase

Yeah - I meant 'me.'  What I was really trying to get at is whether or
not people ever call 'for me' in 'Joe baked a cake for me' an indirect
object,  since it seems to be doing the same thing as 'me' in 'Joe baked
me
a cake.' I had learned that prepositional phrases can't be major
sentence elements like subjects and objects, but that seems to be
substantially more complex.

'For me to criticize him would be foolish.'   Here 'for me' seems to be
the subject of the infinitive clause.  I know that 'for' constructions
introduce some non-finite structures, but can we still call them
prepositions? =20

I also wondered whether people use the term 'retained object
complement.'  I like it, but I think my students feel it goes way beyond
what anyone should be required to know.

My state, Washington has teacher tests.  We use Praxis by ETS. Students
are required to take a basic skills test, which we require students to
take before entering our teacher ed program.  Then, if they get an
endorsement such as ESOL or bilingual education, they have to take a
test for that. These are the tests that my students are preparing for,
and the test really asks them questions about grammar.

Examples:
My sister and I always loved sledding down the hill
behind our house.

The underlined word in the sentence above is an
example of

(A) a conjunction

(B) a participle

(C) a gerund

(D) an adverb

We went to a restaurant, and dinner was cook very bad.

The underlined words in the sentence are an example of an error in

(A)	question formation

(B)	relative clause formation

(C)	passive formation

(D)	command formation

Now I'm careful to use words like 'gerund,' which I didn't used to use,
because I know they see it on the test.

Janet

Date:    Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:56:10 -0500
From:    Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>

<head>
</head>
Janet,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I wish I could make these decisions easier. I always have
a little
problem with "what we should be required to know", since language is a
rich and interesting subject with great rewards that don't stop coming
once you have passed a sort of minimal certification. But like you, I
have to live in the real world and students rightly are worried about
what they need to know for the test.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; It's interesting that the Longman grammar (Biber et. al.) uses
the
category "recipient adverbials" to sort of finesse this problem.&nbsp; "I'll
just write the check for you" is one of their examples, and it could
easily be paraphrased, as they point out,&nbsp; as "I'll just write you the
check." I'm not convinced it's best described as adverbial, since it's
simply another way to make clear the receiver role while manipulating
the structure of the message. To me, it's less a problem of formal
rules and more a question about how meaning is built, thinking of
meaning as representational, interactive, and textual. The "you"
continues to be the receiver. The preposition mostly makes it easy to
manipulate the order for message purposes. <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I also like the perspective that grammar builds bottom up, not
top
down. These are functional patterns.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I would have an initial problem with "boy named Joe" as
retained
object, since it almost implies a source sentence that wouldn't be
likely in the context.&nbsp; "His parents named him Joe. I met him in
September." I think "named Joe" or "called Joe" have probably floated
free of those structures. It's usually easy to edit them down to
appositional phrases. "I met a boy, Joe, in September."<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Don't past participles somewhat maintain a sense of the passive
in
these clauses? "We pushed the boy into the closet." "The boy pushed
into the closet..." I think the notion that those relationships are
retained is very useful, regardless of how we classify them.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; "For me to criticize him would be foolish" is an interesting
sentence. I will mull it over. It occurs to me that constructions like
that are often juxtaposed.&nbsp; "It would be foolish for me to criticize
him." <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; We have a functional need to talk about processes as the focus
of
expressions. It might not be foolish in general to criticize him, but
just foolish "for me." Maybe I don't have the background or expertise.
From that sort of functional push, it makes sense.<br>
Craig<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>
Castilleja, Janet wrote:
 cite="mid:[log in to unmask]"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Yeah - I meant 'me.'  What I was really trying to get at is

Date:    Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:13:03 -0500
From:    "Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>

Janet, Craig, et al.

There are a number of traditional grammars that would call the 'me' in
'Joe baked a cake for me' an indirect object. In Latin, the pronoun
would be in the dative case, and "indirect object" started out as a
label that meant, basically, "dative object, as opposed to accusative
object."=20

There's a major stress point in the traditional system, though -- the
noun that normally goes with a preposition is usually called "the object
of the preposition," and it can't be *both* an indirect object and the
object of the preposition (keep in mind that the traditional approach
always asks, 'what word does this go with,' so you have to say either
'the verb' or 'the preposition' with one of these). Some earlier
grammars dodged this by considering the prepositions themselves to be
case-markers, but then ran into the fact that English has a LOT more
prepositions than Latin has cases. One group of later grammars ruled out
the version with the preposition as an indirect object. Another group
treated it as an indirect object, but only in cases where the
preposition-ed version could be paraphrased as the prepositionless
version (so no indirect object in 'Joe finished off the lutfisk for
me'). Some early generative approaches considered the prepositionless
version as being made out of the preposition-ed one, so in a sense there
were no ditransitive verbs (I said "early" here because I'm sure about
those; I'm not sure about what the current way to deal with the
construction is).=20

Whatever you do with it, it's a bit of a mess. Since specific grammars,
particularly older ones, usually adopt one approach but don't mention
that there are others, I think it's important for teachers and students
to know there *is* a history of disagreement over this. I end up
imagining someone writing a state test and thinking there is, and has
always been, exactly one approach here, and creating a major problem.

The "infinitive with understood subject" (For NP to V") presents even
more of a terminological muddle. From what I've seen, one approach is to
just call the whole thing a specialized kind of infinitive construction,
treating the For....to... sequence as a kind of discontinuous marker, a
bit analogous to either...or; others give one label to the 'for' part
and another to the 'to' part. I cheat, and call the part introduced by
"for" 'subject-ish'.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:46:38 -0600
From:    richard betting <[log in to unmask]>

Janet, Craig, et al. continued
	One of the reasons I  tend to believe in the innateness of some =20=

grammatical structures is that children can understand the kinds of =20
sentences that have been used in recent posts. For example, a first =20
grader will understand this exchange: "If you continue to behave =20
badly, you will not get a present" leads, later in the day, to "That =20
you won't get a present is very obvious."  Another example results in =20=

the prepositional phrase as subject. "He said that he would leave at =20
nine" might lead to "For him to leave at nine means that we'll have to =20=

finish our project quickly." I got those kinds of sentences and =20
explanations from my study of generative grammar forty years ago. =20
Transformations. The second called the T For To transform.
	A comment and a question. The naming of parts: are word groups =20=

phrases or clauses, participial phrases or clauses and should we call =20=

them one- or two-object verbs? Are these transitive or intransitive =20
structures, finite or non-finite verbs, and are these adjective, =20
qualifying, complementary or appositional clauses or phrases? Are they =20=

complex transitive, di- or bi-transitive? Will  R & K diagrams help =20
explain them and will students be able to distinguish form from =20
function? Are participles and infinitives parts of speech? Why or why =20=

not? How many parts of speech are there, anyway? And finally, what is =20=

the relationship between the naming of parts and improvement in =20
student speaking and writing?  Do teachers consciously and =20
consistently make those connections between theory and practice? Are =20
students being asked to write and speak and are they creating =20
portfolios of written work to demonstrate their competence? And are =20
they participating in the assessment process?

I would bet that the majority of middle school/high school English =20
teachers would not be able to define and explain the terms that have =20
been discussed, to say nothing of doing so from the perspective of =20
more than one grammatical approach. That is not to criticize the =20
teachers themselves so much as to ask about the educational process =20
shat enabled them to get where they are without an adequate knowledge =20=

of the English language that they spend so much time teaching. In =20
order to have an ADEQUATE (minimal) background in English, what =20
courses should/must all language arts teachers have? Could we agree on =20=

the required courses? Do current textbooks (for teachers) meet the =20
content requirement we might create? Is anyone still working on scope =20=

and sequence?

Is the current discussion helping create a consensus on these and =20
other issues that we should be helping decide? Unfortunately, perhaps, =20=

the end result seems to be that each person will create his/her own =20
curriculum.  If English teachers don=92t take the opportunity now, =20
someone else will, as NoChild evolves and insupportable standards =20
(like the naming of  grammar parts) are created. So much to do, so =20
little time.

Date:    Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:28:05 -0600
From:    DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>

At 03:46 PM 12/12/2008, richard betting wrote: . . .
>I would bet that the majority of middle school/high school English
>teachers would not be able to define and explain the terms that have
>been discussed, to say nothing of doing so from the perspective of
>more than one grammatical approach. That is not to criticize the
>teachers themselves so much as to ask about the educational process
>shat enabled them to get where they are without an adequate knowledge
>of the English language that they spend so much time teaching. In
>order to have an ADEQUATE (minimal) background in English, what
>courses should/must all language arts teachers have? Could we agree on
>the required courses? Do current textbooks (for teachers) meet the
>content requirement we might create? Is anyone still working on scope
>and sequence? . . .

DD: Very salient questions and comment. I teach Latin. [ Don't get
caught in the Latin lists' cross fire on Grammar, Translating,
Understanding, reading in Latin, Speaking, language learning in
general, or whatever*.]  I suspect that the pre college level English
teachers are not teaching or talking much about grammar. The students
I get learn the parts of speech (et al.) from me, using Dr. John
Traupman's, "Conversational Latin for Oral Proficiency," mostly. What
they do in English class, I wot not. Well, it appears to have naught
to do with formal definitions or rules of grammar. Being a Nosey
Parker, I have very discretely probed.  "Parse" is an unknown
word.  I sort of gather from comments on this list that there are
still some English Grammarian troglodytes that care. Consensus on
texts we probably could have. Would they have a ghost of a chance of
being adopted for teacher certification courses? That I misdoubt.
Onward comrades, it is a glorious battle we wage. "Thump! Thump!
Thump!" Do I hear the classic cue to the audience of impending doom?
*Well the ones on Graffitti are fun.

Date:    Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:54:29 -0500
From:    Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>

Janet,

My grammar description in "Understanding English Grammar" is based on
ten sentence patterns, which are based on verb classes and the kinds
of completers (complements) those verbs require.  The verb class that
we call "give-like verbs" consists of those verbs that take an
indirect object--that is, that include a recipient of the direct
object, as in your example.

	Joe baked me a cake.
	I gave Joe a birthday present.

In most of these verbs, the indirect object can be shifted from its
position following the verb and become the object of the preposition
"to" or "for" following the direct object:

	Joe baked a cake for me.
	I gave a present to Joe.

The verb class hasn't changed; there's still an object and a
recipient--and I would call that recipient the indirect object no
matter where it appears, even as the object of a preposition.

N.B.  It's important to note that if the direct object is a personal
pronoun, the indirect object MUST be shifted to the prepositional
phrase:

	*I gave Joe it.
	I gave it to Joe.

	*Joe baked me it.
	Joe baked it for me.

As for "retained complement" or "retained object," I agree that it
goes beyond the kind of terminology that students should be required
to know. The "retained" label refers to objects that appear in
passive sentences.  And that condition occurs only when the active
sentence has more than one object--as in the "give-like" verbs:

	Joe was given a present (by me).
	A present was given Joe.

Sentences that have an object complement in the active,

	We elected Obama president.

will also have a retained complement in the passive:

	Obama was elected president.

In this case, we probably call it a "retained subject complement,"
given that the direct object has become the subject.

I certainly don't think our terminology has to be this detailed for
students.  Terms that describe the active voice should be sufficient.

Martha

Date:    Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:58:37 -0800
From:    Dee Allen-Kirkhouse <[log in to unmask]>

I'll weigh in on the comment about middle/high school teachers and grammar.
Some days I feel as if I am banging my head against the wall when I try to
convince my colleagues that it is essential to teach grammar to our high
school students.  Students are hungry for grammar.  In the end-of-the year
reflective essays, students in my classes often write about how much they
learned about English grammar and how that knowledge has made them more
aware of their writing choices.  A frequent lament from students is that
they never learned grammar.  I'm pretty sure that other teachers teach
grammar, but as we discussed at this summer's ATEG conference, the
teacher-preparation programs are not teaching teachers how to teach grammar
or even how to talk about it.  One of my colleagues says students don't
need to know grammar.  He grades with a red pen and points out errors in
student writing but doesn't help them to recognize the errors and correct
them.  (Students tell me that he calls me the Grammar Queen behind my
back---as if that is a bad thing.)

Last year, my department chair asked me to do a mini-lesson on teaching
grammar.  When I wrote a routine exercise on the board and asked my
colleagues to identify various elements of the sentence, most of them
didn't have an answer.  As I began talking about the subject and predicate,
I saw some of their eyes widen in panic.  They literally had no idea what I
was talking about.  When I explained about the different types of verbs,
using Martha's sentence patterns as a guideline, I totally lost them.  I
had approached my mini-lesson with the assumption that my fellow English
teachers understood grammar, but I was obviously mistaken.  They know
literature, but grammar is a foreign concept.  Those of us who grew up in
the pre-Chomsky era learned how to diagram a sentence.  It opened our eyes
to the various ways we could arrange words for greater effect.  I cringe
when I see some of the sentences my students write using text-shorthand.
We certainly have our work cut out for us.

Dee

Date:    Sat, 13 Dec 2008 13:44:15 +0900
From:    John Curran <[log in to unmask]>

The boy was very happy that his mother did not see him being such a pig.

I have had no time to read the learned and voluminous observations on this
but as a common classroom teacher I must contribute:

Swan (Practical English Usage) describes the above as a "that clause"
modifying an adjective. (The conjunction "that" has little or no meaning).

Kolln & Funk (p. 259 6th.Edition) to paraphrase:  this clause is a
complement completing the idea expressed by the adjective. Overall this is a
pattern II sentence.

There appear to be many opinions but the Kolln & Funk explanation is the one
I will use with my students.

Clarification from Martha please - "being such a pig" is this an object
complement relevant to 'him'?

Can someone put this all in the form of a KR diagram? There must be a young
whizz kid somewhere!

Craig may I ask you - can you complete the analysis   from SFL perspective?

The boy      was              very  happy      that                his
mother  did  not   see   him  being  such  a pig.

Carrier       relational       Attribute           conj.

Theme         process

John

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

End of ATEG Digest - 11 Dec 2008 to 12 Dec 2008 (#2008-263)