ATEG Archives

January 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:18:10 -0500
Linguists regularly dodge this question by calling utterances like these "paralinguistic gestures," a fancy way of saying that they communicate but we can't analyze them internally as part of the lexicon, morphologically, or syntactically.  Clearly, as Scott has done with his students, they can be treated as discourse markers and have a clear function at that level.  By the way, paralinguistic gestures aren't limited articulatorily to what natural languages use in their sound systems.  No language uses a pulmonic ingressive airstream mechanism as a part of its phonology, yet in Scandinavian cultures an inhaled vowel sound is a form of backchanneling.  One or two languages use bilabial trills, the sound we call a raspberry or a Bronx cheer, although some samples involve the tongue between the lips which is not a linguistic gesture.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University