ATEG Archives

September 2001

From:
"Haussamen, Brock" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:49:53 -0400
I think these language questions show us how difficult and puzzling the
situation is.

When a violent act is committed and you try to figure out who did it, try to
assemble evidence, and try to catch the people, then that is the realm of
crime and law.  But here catching and punishing a few people will clearly
not solve the problem for the future.

When a violent act is committed and you asssemble armed forces and head
toward another country and fight that country until they surrender, that is
the realm of war.  But that doesn't fit here either because there is no
country and the notion that an enemy government here could formally
"surrender" doesn't make sense.

When you go to another part of the world and try to convert people to your
way of believing and punish them if they don't convert, that, at least in a
general way, is a crusade.  But that concept doesn't fit either, in part
because I don't think we even want to convert the mid-east; we just want
terrorists to stop being terrorists.

I think these terms fail to work partly because the conflict is larger than
just America vs. terrorists.  The best description I have read about is in
Benjamin Barber's book a few years ago, "Jihad vs. McWorld."  The growing
conflict between traditional, religious, local cultures with a violent
potential to them on the one hand, and modern international corporatism,
epitomized by but not limited to America.  We don't have the term for
methodically violent conflict between these two aspects of global culture.

Brock Haussamen