ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:19:48 -0500
Ed,
   I wanted to say amen to the following, though more about writing
teachers in general than about those on the list:
"One of the things that makes me laugh (and cry) about this group is that
many members admit that students cannot master basic grammatical
constructions in one year, but all members seem to be interested only in
what they can teach in one year or semester."
   It is also very painful to have students show up in college knowing
very little and have such a short time to work with them. "What can you
do in a single semester" is a legitimate question, but it seems crazy
that we don't, as a discipline, think more in terms of what can be
accomplished K-12.
   It's interesting, too, that the studies of effectiveness of grammar
instruction also seem short term in scope, often a single semester in
which one group studies grammar, another group practices writing, and
then both are tested in writing. It's not hard to predict that the
group that practiced writing will do better. But the conclusion
routinely reached is that this proves that time is better spent on
writing.
   It would be interesting to have a study on whether knowledge about
language is useful for successful writers. I don't think that has ever
been done.

Craig

John, Bill, and Craig;