ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
Brett Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2010 14:55:39 -0400
On 2010-09-06, at 2:17 PM, Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar wrote:

> I just read that "tomatoes are abundant in antioxidants." Curiously we could also say that "antioxidants are abundant in tomatoes" and describe the same factual condition.
>
> There are some "symmetric" predicates (such as "be married to") that allow a switch of subject and object: If X is married to Y, then Y is married to X. But in these the predicate retains the same meaning. With "be abundant in," the symmetry relies on different synonyms: [be abundant in = contain many] vs. [be abundant in = widely populate]. I wonder if there are any other predicates that allow a subject/object reversal and retain meaning courtesy of a synonym shift.

"Comprise" comes to mind. From the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary:

1 (also be comprised of) comprise something
to have somebody/something as parts or members
SYNONYM consist of
The collection comprises 327 paintings.
The committee is comprised of representatives from both the public and private sectors.

2 comprise something
to be the parts or members that form something
SYNONYM make something up
Older people comprise a large proportion of those living in poverty.

Best,
Brett

Brett Reynolds
English Language Centre
Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
Toronto, Ontario, Canada