ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:01:59 -0500
Dear Cyndi et al.:

First, let me apologize for taking so long to react to your original
email, Cyndi -- I've gotten far behind on my ATEG reading (I am foolish
enough to require papers in my 50-student sections, and nothing much
else gets done while I cope with those).

I suspect there could be a complex set of reasons underlying problems
like you're observing in your eighth-grader. Part of the problem, as
mentioned in the discussion earlier, is that punctuation is not
"natural," at least, not in the sense language is. Intonation *is*
natural, but punctuation only reflects select bits of intonation, and
sometimes does not reflect intonation at all (e.g., the comma that, by
custom, separates the name of a city from that of the state it's in).

However, there may also be effects from some of the reading strategies
that the student uses -- if, for example, your eighth-grader is adopting
*too* much of a bottom-up strategy, working out the words and then
trying to fit them together into sentences without thinking about the
context, she may be finding it difficult to work punctuation into her
method at all, since punctuation marks aren't words. Proficient readers
tend to work from both ends towards the middle -- we decode words and
assemble them, but at the same time both limit and extend our
interpretations based on expectations, with many of those expectations
being determined by the context. If the student is basically approaching
reading as a "word puzzle" activity, it's going to be very difficult for
her to add punctuation to the equation. When the student tries reading
aloud, does she sometimes sound like she's saying a list of words?

As a side comment, I think we should not underestimate the extent to
which reading strategies affect students' later writing strategies --
these domains are in no way separate. A student who doesn't routinely go
about guessing what would fit the context next while reading may have
trouble putting him/herself in the shoes of another reader who is trying
to guess what comes next, something one has to do for cohesive (and
coherent) writing.

In the earlier discussion, I started out by arguing that reading led to
"good punctuation." I had to limit the claim when others pointed out,
quite rightly, that reading didn't *automatically* lead to good
punctuation. Even if the claim is just that reading is a "necessary but
not sufficient condition" for learning punctuation, I suppose it should
be further limited to certain *types* of reading. Students spending long
hours struggling through texts they don't really understand will not
internalize much about punctuation from them -- as Craig points out,
it's the relationship between the punctuation and what the text is
*doing* that's the basis for learning.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University