ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
"Wollin, Edith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:31:19 -0700
Ed,
I have not done the tree diagrams with my class; I do know that a
teacher at our Central Campus has used both in her class and finds that
it works well. She does not do as much with sentence production as I do.
I worked on creating a course that works on improving writing as it
teaches the syntax of English sentences. This is not, however, a
composition course. I agree with Dick Veit that doing even a fairly
thorough job of teaching grammar is pretty hard to combine with a
composition course. Maybe if one has a semester instead of a quarter it
is more possible.

As I have indicated before on the list serv, students who have taken
this class have reported back even years later that they were better
readers after taking this class. But since Reed and Kellogg is not the
only pedagogy in the class, I cannot claim that it is that that is
helpful. It might be the sentence combining or a combination of the
two--which is my pretty much untested theory.

Edith Wollin