ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
"Bruce D. Despain" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 04:04:03 -0600
Ron,

This extract from my introduction to grammar on the role of hypothesis may
be helpful:

      Induction.  The 17th Century philosopher, Francis Bacon, extended the
set of acceptable tools of rational thought when he pointed out how
investigators infer a scientific theory from the observed facts whenever
they generalize. Generalization is the logical process of induction from a
number of specific instances. Suppose scientists make the "same" observation
a number of times. After so many observations they feel they are entitled to
conclude (with some degree of certainty) that they are observing the effects
of some general principle. (This kind of induction is distinct from what
mathematicians know as induction. These people define mathematical induction
with statements about numbers that make it for them in actuality an
extension of deduction.) Bacon maintained that support for facts could come
by both deduction and induction.

      Logical induction vs. deduction.  In the mid-18th Century David Hume,
clearly demonstrated the fact that Bacon's brand of logical induction cannot
strictly qualify as a mode of reasoning. In order to establish induction on
a basis as secure as deduction, philosophers are obliged to accept the
validity of the conclusion (the general principle) to the same extent as the
assumption. Only then would they be able to infer the conclusion with the
same certainty as the assumptions.

      Inference.  Inference by induction is a way of connecting experience -
of making sense out of a collection of observations. The general principle
that the investigator induces is the result of numerous confirmations of a
hypothesis with failure to disconfirm it. It was Karl Popper, who in modern
times was responsible for the rejection of induction as a mode of reasoning
(Popper, 1972). Popper emphasized strongly that induction is actually quite
the equivalent of hypothesis and experiment.
      Bruce