ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:59:32 -0400
Herb,
   Thanks much for passing this on. It is, as Dick noted, a pleasure to
read a thoughtful view. Several times over the last few months I have
felt sadness that the issue of past perfect couldn't be vetted in our
usual ways without so much static coming in. It's an important issue
and there are interesting side issues that link with it.
   One point I hesitate to make because of potential static is that
grammatical redundancy is a natural part of all languages. Here's
Langacher's view of it, but one we could probably find from any serious
grammarian: "Redundancy is not to be disparaged, for in one way or
another every language makes extensive use of it. By providing the
listener with extra clues, it helps ensure that a partially degraded
message can still be understood. It allows the speaker to either
emphasize a certain notion through repetition or to portray it from
multiple perspectives" (Cognitive Grammar 2008, p. 188).
   Even in a simple sentence like "Sally often expresses her opinion", we
have reundant features. It's probably clear to all of us that Sally is
singular and female, that the opinions she often expresses are "hers"
(the default expectation) and not someone else's. But we are so used to
those features that they seem natural to us. In fact, the non-redundant
version ("Sally often express opinion") seems unnatural.
   Any explanation of the past perfect (or pluperfect) would need to
account for those instances when other features (time-orienting
conjunctions or our own sense of the nature of the underlying
processes, such as the fact that you don't usually tell about something
before it happens) make the past perfect a somewhat redundant feature.
Though it's hard to call one feature redundant when other features
could be easily charged. Redundancy, as Langacher says, is not to be
disparaged. The different "clues" are working together toward a
cohesive purpose. The fact that meaning might be clear without all of
them wouldn't make any of them wrong.
   Jesperson could never have anticipated the kind of objections recently
raised on list to very normal past perfect uses. But I think his
observations cover it very well.

Craig

I sent Brad as an attachment a copy of Jespersen's Chapter 6 of his third