ATEG Archives

January 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:35:26 -0500
Johanna,
    I tend to think of "effect" as far more primary and "affect" second
(outside psychology), so that no doubt influences my take on
things.>It would be interesting to google it or check the corpus
grammars.
   To me, the logic would be something like this:
   "Have an influence on" equals "influence".
   "Have an impact on" equals "impact"
   "Have an effect on" equals "affect"?
  Seems goofy to me. We have plenty of words that function as both noun
and verb. (hope, change, desire, result,far too many to list. I suspect
the difficulty comes, not from pronunciation pressures, but from the
confusion that arises from having a different spelling for the verb
version than for the more common noun one.

Craig

 Craig,