ATEG Archives

July 1999

From:
Bob Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 09:33:29 -0500
Elvis Ho Ping Kwong wrote:

> I am a fresh graduate from a local university in Hong Kong. Luckily I
> will have a chance to teach at a local secondary school in the next
> school year. I would like to read some grammar reference books. Should I
> obtain a copy of A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language by R.
> Quirk, et al?

A comprehensive grammar is a very good reference to have. Here in the
States it now sells for about $175. Given the situation you are in, I
would recommend to grammars specifically designed for non-native
speakers.

1) Cobuild Grammar. It is specifically designed for non-native
speakers.  It describes British English; however, that should probably
be the target grammar in Hong Kong.  (In the States, this almost
impossible to find.)

2) For understanding the structure of English with recommendations for
teaching those structures to non-native speakers, I recommend The
Grammar Book (2nd ed.) by Celce-Murcia and Larsen-Freeman. This is
written by Americans, but I think you will find references to British
English when there are marked differences from American English.

Bob Yates, Central Missouri State University