ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:47:26 -0500
Karl,
     Nice points. That means a sentence like "I have broken windows in
my house" would be fundamentally ambiguous. I hadn't thought of that.
Nice amendment.
     As a functionalist, I would tend to look at this diachronically. If
we have forms around, it seems reasonable to expect that they would
change their range of use, just as words do. Just as the same word can
have different meanings, a form can evolve different functions.
    Herb could probably correct me on this one, but I think  perfect
aspect evolved from a causative construction in old English, something
like "We have the windows broken," somewhat analogous to "they made us
laugh," where the change in state verb comes after the direct object.
Word order shifted, and then the form generalized out later to include
intransitive verbs: "We have broken the windows." "We have laughed."
    I like your formulation of it, and we could propose this as an EBB
(everyone but Brad) position. "It is useful to separate function and
form because forms often carry out more than one function. They often
mean different things in different contexts."

Craig