ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:26:23 -0400
Johanna,

Mea culpa! I should not have said, "Error" in my comments. For what it's
worth, I never say error to my kids when I note their informal speech. I do
tell my students to correct informalities in their writing, however, unless
they're writing vernacular.

It is difficult to find the right words when working with writers. They
often ask if what they have done is "correct" or "good English," and I just
as often find it necessary to 'correct' that habit of self-deprecation; but
it is not easy to do.

Paul E. Doniger