ATEG Archives

April 2006

From:
Phil Bralich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:11:46 -0700
Step by step

1.  "which to want to wear" is the infinitival noun clause object of the preposition "in"
2.  "which" is the object of "wear" as well as the head of the noun clause "which to want to wear"
3.  "to want to wear" has the implied subject or "empty category" meaning someone
4.  "to wear" is the infinitival object of "to want"
5.  "to want to wear" is the infinitival noun clause derived from "to want to wear it"
6.  infinitival noun clause is the basic analysis -- like "what to wear is the real question" where "what to wear" is
     the infinitival noun clause subject of "is"

Phil Bralich