ATEG Archives

January 2012

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:28:03 +0000
     I think GENRE is a very key component of this. different structures show up in different ways in different kinds of texts for good functional reasons. My experience has been that students coming out of high school have been exposed to "literary" texts in their English classes. In the state of New York, the emphasis is on "literary elements," those features of language that are thought of as peculiar to literature (a position that can be disputed.) These texts are organized quite differently from what are normally thought of as "academic texts," and they also differ quite a bit in their language patterns. I find that students coming out of high school cannot tell me the difference between a story and an essay; in fact, they tend to keep referring to essays as "stories" just out of habit. They expect to "interpret" what they read, without a strong sense that a good nonfiction text shouldn't have to be subject to interpretation in the ways they are used to. In other words, a good nonfiction text should make its meaning clear. Meaning in a literary text is often open and implied.
    It's interesting that fiction has a lexical density very similar to conversation. The lexical density of academic text is built around complexity in the noun phrases. Fiction has a much higher frequency of pronouns. Whereas fiction tends to organize around plot (and point of view), academic text tends to build coherence differently, quite often by making explicit reference to the text as a text.
    I work with students at the college level who will not, for the most part, be English majors. I find that they are radically underprepared for the kinds of reading and writing they will be doing in college, in part because high schools classes are so deeply organized around literature.
    I agree that academic writing can be thought of as a second language for most students. Our job is to mentor them into fluency with that language, and we cannot do so just through poems and plays and stories.

Craig
From:   "Stahlke, Herbert" <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
Date:   01/06/2012 12:49 AM
Sent by:        Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar

When I used the term “grammar in context” earlier in this context, I was
intentionally using it in a broader sense that it typically has in the
literature.  A number of years ago I did a summer workshop for writing
teachers in which we chose constructions and grammatical categories on the
basis of discourse needs.  So we dealt with constructions that change focus
and topic, ways of foregrounding and backgrounding, etc.  That led us to
talking about phrases, clauses, parts of speech, grammatical relations,
etc. always in the context of effective expression.  Unfortunately, I no
longer have the notes or papers from that class, but I remember iis fondly.
The students, all secondary and middle writing teachers, were a very
thoughtful bunch.  Of course, Martha Kolln’s work is deservedly respected
for its pioneering of this sort of approach.

In my grammar classes, I’ve frequently used poems as objects of analysis.
One of my favorites, and one of the most challenging, is Sir Philip
Sidney’s sonnet “With how sad steps.”

With how sad steps, O Moon, thou climb’st the skies,
How silently, and with how wan a face!
What!  May it be that even in heav’nly place
That busy archer his sharp arrows tries?
Sure, if that long-with-love-acquainted eyes                  5
Can judge of love, thou feel’st a lover’s case.
I read it in thy looks, thy languisht grace
To me, that feel the like, thy state descries.

Then, ev’n of fellowship, O Moon, tell me,
Is constant love deem’d there but want of wit?              10
Are beauties there as proud as here they be?
Do they above love to be lov’d, and yet
Those lovers scorn whom that love doth possess?
Do they call virtue there ungratefulness?

Sidney is, of course, mid-sixteenth c., which means Early Modern English,
and that makes his language a bit of a challenge for students.  As an
exercise, try grammatically analyzing the four sentences found in the last
six lines.

On an old chestnut of a topic, the poem also illustrates some interesting
historical phenomena in the uses of “that.”

Line 3:  “that” is a subordinating conjunction
Line 5:  “that” is an EME use of that to mark “if” as a subordinating
construction.
Line 8:  “that” introduces a nonrestrictive relative clause, something
grammars generally tell us is wrong.
Line 13:  “that” functions as in line 5, supporting “whom” as a
subordinator.

But that’s another topic.

Herb
From:   "STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
Date:   12/26/2011 02:32 PM
Sent by:        Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar

Jack,

You raise important questions or pedagogy and of content, questions we have
discussed at length on this forum without reaching consensus.  Should
grammar be taught as content?  Should it be taught as an adjunct to the
teaching of writing?  What you suggest is that a significant amount of
grammar, grammar that is useful to writers, can be taught in the process of
meeting the needs of developing writers.  And this leads me to wonder
whether a grammar in context approach might not be a way to introduce
grammatical knowledge that we all think is useful and presenting it in a
way that makes its relevance obvious.  This suggests a much more
thorough-going grammar in context model than we usually see in writing
classrooms, rather, an approach that starts in early grades and
incorporates grammar into language arts activities across the board.

Not being a K12 teacher, I may be describing what some teachers are already
doing.

Herb

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave
the list"