ATEG Archives

June 1997

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 22:03:33 GMT
At  1:54 PM 6/26/97 -0700, Johanna Rubba wrote:
>Sender:       Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar
>Poster:       Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Query: grammar on the web
>
>Hello, all. I am looking for websites about English grammar. I am
>interested in sites that include the traditional approach, but also in
>sites that incorporate functionalist or more linguistically-based
>descriptions. I would also be interested in anything available on CD-ROM.
>
>My purpose is to find supplementary materials for a course I will be
>teaching
>this Fall for future teachers of elementary and high school language arts.
>It is intended to be a review of basic English grammar, mechanics, and
>usage. I need good exercises that students can access, self-correct, and
>perhaps find explanations for why the right answer is the right answer
>(and perhaps why the most logical wrong answer is the wrong answer).
>
>I will be explaining traditional grammar as it is found in currently-used
>school texts, but I want to frame this in functionalism to the greatest
>extent possible, and also want to find in-context exercises if any are
>available.
>
>Please note that this course will be for students who have had little to
>no linguistics, so sites that rely heavily on advanced linguistic theory
>will not be of use to me.
>
>I will post a summary of responses. I am familiar with the U. of Ottowa's
>Hypergrammar site already. I may use it and/or another site that I find as
>a result of this search.
>
>Thanks for any  help!
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Johanna Rubba   Assistant Professor, Linguistics              ~
>English Department, California Polytechnic State University   ~
>San Luis Obispo, CA 93407                                     ~
>Tel. (805)-756-2184  E-mail: [log in to unmask]      ~
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Johanna:

I hesitate to blow my own horn--but I think that you will find my text
"Understanding English Grammar", published by Allyn & Bacon,  suited to
your course.  The fifth edition, which I wrote with Robert Funk, is coming
out very soon, in July.  In it we discuss traditional grammar, but the
grammar description is basically what is called "structural"--and directed
at future teachers.  We include an appendix on transformational grammar.
Please take a look.

Also, I think that recently you had a question about the ATEG conference:
We are meeting this year in Williamsport, PA, July 18 and 19.  Williamsport
is located in north-central Pennsylvania, and is accessible via a commuter
flight from Pittsburgh.  We are housed, most of us, in a lovely old hotel,
with very cheap rates, and for two days we talk grammar.  This year we will
have with us Art Whimbey, a man with many credentials, a well-known
educational researcher; Connie Weaver and Rei Noguchi, the only two grammar
authors of NCTE publications.  Our conferences are intimate affairs.  Most
of the time we all get to hear all of the papers.  Please be in touch with
Ed Vavra, [log in to unmask], if you are interested.  There's still room on the
program.

I know this letter will be read by many--but this P.S. is for Johanna.
P.S.  Johanna is my middle name.

Martha Kolln, President. ATEG  (Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar)