ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 19:10:38 -0700
Yet another reason a lot of English teachers hate/resist grammar (and
in a lot of English departments, the lit. folk hate composition, too):
They have reason to fear that the 'language people' (comp., grammar)
will become more valued than the literature people. Literature is,
after all, an art. What would happen to English departments if they
were suddenly classified with the art curriculum of a school??? In
these times, I think we know. And with the current focus on
employability and vocation-specific education, the practicality of comp
and grammar instruction (whether perceived or real) is much more likely
to draw funding support than an "art".

I'm not saying literature should be dumped, of course. All of the arts
are getting short shrift these days.

I believe also that there is a turf war of sorts. Part of being a
literature professor is being able to recognize and produce elegant
English prose (or poetry or whatever). This can abet the "proper
English" ideology.

A close friend of mine in my department always argues with me about
"proper English". She refuses to accept that my expertise concerning
English language is greater than hers. It's a threat to her
professional (and I suspect personal) identity. She doesn't equate her
questioning of my expertise with my trying to correct her about Chaucer
or Arthurian lit. (her specialties). I never do that, of course ... I
don't have a Ph.D. in it!

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: 805.756.2184
Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596
Dept. Fax: 805.756.6374