ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:08:13 -0500
Why not a third analysis?  "being" as a participle, as in "I found him fishing in the White River."  ""See" allows all three constructions.  "Find" does not.  Other perception verbs allow the participial construction as well:

	I felt the breeze blowing on my back.
	I smelled the paper burning.
	I heard the sirens blaring as the fire trucks went by.

Herb