ATEG Archives

June 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 21:39:54 -0400
Paul and Nancy,

You have reinforced the impression that there is a lot of confusion, even in the style guides people use, on some uses of the apostrophe.  I don't believe this is a new thing.  There has always been a fairly high degree of variability in the use of apostrophes, from the universally condemned "green-grocer's apostrophe" ("fresh apple's today), to the pretty widely recognized apostrophe in contractions.  It isn't that there was at some point in history a well defined set of rules, and since then the apostrophe, like the rest of the English language, standards have collapsed.  Rather, there's been a effort since the mid-19th to codify the use of this odd orthographic tic, and most people haven't bothered to master the rules, can't find a standard set, or don't really care.  It's the ongoing near-chaos that is the English language.

Herb