ATEG Archives

April 2009

Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:08:23 -0400
Pulliam is the stupid one if he does not understand what The Little Book
means by
"Write with nouns and verbs, not with adjectives and adverbs," they insist.
(The motivation of this mysterious decree remains unclear to me.)

Anyone who had ever graded English themes, especially descriptive writing,
has been exposed to students who use plain verbs and generic nouns, both of
which are accompanied by a plethora of adverbs and adjectives respectively
when more descriptive verbs and nouns would do a far better job with less
effort.  The only explanation that I can give for such students is either
functional illiteracy or sheer laziness (many theme assignments have--or
used to have--a minimum number of words).  The slovenly among them use any
gimmick to expand their impoverished thoughts and expression.

I cannot believe that Professor Pulliam has taught English without having
encountered such students: his extreme prejudice towards The Little Book
seems to have blinded him to the extent that he can only see vices and never
virtue.  The Little Book has its faults; however, I would trust Shrunk and
White over a "grammarian" who has had too little contact with writing to
understand the motivation for the very sound advice:

"Write with nouns and verbs, not with adjectives and adverbs."
(The motivation of this decree is quite clear to me and has been since
Freshman English.)

Scott Catledge
Professor Emeritus

During the "God is dead" fad of the 60's, I had a bumper sticker that said,
"My God is alive--sorry about yours."

My understanding of the "motivation" is clear to me--sorry it's not clear
to him.  Perhaps he should teach a Freshman English course sometime.