ATEG Archives

February 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 09:27:34 -0500
Phil,
    I'm delighted to read the responses from Martha and Tim, which have
helped me fill in some blanks in my own understanding of the history
of the struggle.
    One reason almost for SIDESTEPPING NCTE is that we can go ahead with
something sensible with or without their blessing.  In other words,
they can and probably should call it as they see it and we can do the
same.  I guess I'm saying we shouldn't wait for them to come aboard
before we move ahead.
    NCTE does not believe there SHOULD be a scope and sequence for grammar
teaching. We believe there should.  Let's do it.
    As you describe traditional grammar, I'm pretty much with you.
There's an important difference between acquiring a language and
acquiring knowledge about that language. The progressive position is
that knowledge about language is not necessary, eve3n "harmful" if it
takes time from real reading and writing.  (When I went to school, we
were rarely asked to write and it was taught very badly.)  They
advocate responding to grammar (largely error) in context, with as
little metalanguage as possible.  My sense is that it is becoming
increasingly clear to composition people (who work the front lines of
teaching) that this approach is inadequate.  We have much to gain by
addressing their questions and offering a thoughtful way out of the
present bind while acknowledging and supporting the things they feel
are important.
    We could get into an interesting talk about the shortcomings of the
old grammar you and I were exposed to when it was still taught.  (It
was a wonderful base to amend and build on.)  Unfortunately, the
"parts of speech" are taught, but not taught well, and students coming
out of high school don't know what you are talking about if you talk
about "phrases" or "clauses."  In Martha's half of our joint article
("English Teaching Practice and Critique": you can access it on-line),
she mentions C. C. Fries' Structural Grammar (which dates to the
'50's) and praises it as a grammar more descriptive of what happens
within language. I have mined very practical wisdom from systemic
functional grammar, which is very much central to the reintegration of
grammar in the school systems of Australia and has had lots of
influence in England. It's a linguistic grammar (morew scientifically
based) that gives us a different understanding of the basics you are
talking about and makes it ewasier to apply them to critical reading
and writing. I think we do terrible damage when we present soft
understandings (such as a sentence is a complete thought) in trying to
eliminate error. And many of the "rules" in traditional grammar are
what Ed Schuster calls "mythrules", not particularly sensible and
broken even by their proponents.  In other words, there's lots of ways
we can improve on school grammar and still accomplish what you are
calling for, a look at what happens when words come together to form
meanings.
    As you can tell from the lively response, you have hit a live topic.
I was particularly impressed with how tenacious Martha has been.  (I'm
a fairly recent member of ATEG, as is Tim.)
    I echo Martha's invitation.  Come join us this summer. I have a
feeling our conversation has just started.

Craig