ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:47:26 -0500
Marshall,
   The interesting thing about the Graham and Perin study is that is is
a meta-analysis and measures (attempts to measure) the effect of various
kinds of instruction on writing quality, not a discreet element like
T-unit. sentence combining comes in fifth of eleven interventions
recommended, above things like "prewriting."  An effect size of .50 is
considered "moderate." I have my reservations about the way the study is
set up, but the research does seem to back up the usefulness of the
approach. If nothing else, research like this can be used to convince an
administrator or department chair that your practices are empirically
grounded. The research also seems to show that the strongest effect is
achieved if there's a conversation about language going on. What Scott
is doing seems very easy to justify.

Craig