ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Michael Dee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:17:01 -0600
My approach to teaching English is directly informed by my experience
teaching outdoor skills. I've noticed that novice whitewater kayakers
can only keep two or three things in mind at once. If I give them
more than that, they get confused and typically fail to recall the
two or three that will determine the difference between a pleasant
and unpleasant trip through the rapids.  Likewise, marking every
error depresses the spirit of the writer, obscures the sort of
emphasis which is essential to the acquisition of skills and
precludes a sensible progression in that acquisition. My marking of
errors depends on the individual character of the student whose paper
I am grading. Often, I only indicate where an error exists, leaving
it up to the student to diagnose it. After all, they need to develop
an internal copy-editor: and that won't happen if a teacher marks and
labels every mistake.

In my summary comments on papers, I will however list grammatical
concerns which may have been unmarked on the paper. At this point,
the highschool students I teach will come see me to discuss them.