ATEG Archives

November 2000

From:
David D Mulroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:17:45 -0600
Dear Mr. Reis,

I am in complete sympathy with your alarm and disgust at a the prevalent
educational philosophy holding that systematic instruction in grammar is
either a waste of time or even counterproductive.  I have been looking
into the research on which this belief is founded.  Essentially, it has
been demonstrated repeatedly that formal instruction in grammar does not
produce any measurable, short-term benefits.  In other words, if you start
teaching students about parts of speech and the conjugation of verbs they
do not demonstrably become better writers or students of a second language
immediately or even within a year or two.  Personally, I am convinced that
systematic instruction in grammar is an indispensable foundation for real
mastery of the "language arts" but that its beneficial effects take longer
to show up.  I believe that I was able to do well in college writing and
in the study of foreign language because of all the time that I spent
studying grammar (God bless those nuns!) in grade school.  Still, to give
the devil his due, it is difficult to produce empirical proof of the
benefits of the study of formal grammar.  I would be extremely grateful
for your thoughts on this problem, either on or off list.

Best wishes,
David Mulroy