ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 22:19:12 -0500
Mike,

My fast reaction to all of those is "B". When I see that sort of thing
in student writing, my immediate impression is not that there is a
grammar problem, but rather that the writer needs an active command of a
wider range of adjectives, or has been exposed to too much advertising
or bureaucratic language. I think doublespeak and its ilk constitute a
far worse problem than do most "grammatical errors," however, so my
scale would run at right angles to yours. That said, the whole point of
your scale is probably to let you investigate grammaticality judgments,
and I realize it's silly to  criticize Fahrenheit for not primarily
indexing humidity.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University