ATEG Archives

December 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 23:51:25 -0500
This message was  originally submitted by [log in to unmask]  to the
ATEG
list

Ed Vavra wrote

> I agree with Edith, and I have never been able to
> understand those in our group who fuss over the
> function/form distinction. Yes, I realize that the
> distinction is important in linguistics. But most of us
> are not teaching linguistics; we are trying to teach
> grammar to students (K-college). In my experience,
> any attempt at the function/form distinction simply
> adds to students' confusion.

Let me give an example of why the form/function distinction is
important.

One defines a verb as a word that shows action.  And, the "main verb" of
sentence is what the "subject" is doing or has done?

        So what is the "main verb" of the following sentences?

        Bob is playing on the computer.
        Bob enjoys playing on the computer.
        Bob is happy playing on the computer.

Playing is the most "action" word in all three, right?

The only way to figure out what is the "main verb" is to talk about form
and function.

Bob Yates, Central Missouri State University