ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:55:45 -0400
Martha, and company,
   It's interesting that we don't say "the manner how it was done,"
which might be another argument for thinking of these as nominal. In
this case, we are stuck with "in which." "The manner in which it was
done surprised everyone."
   I haven't thought it all through, but I'm wondering if it would be
useful to look at the similarity to the fronting that occurs with "wh"
questions and with content clauses.

"Where were you born?" "When were you born?" "Why were you born?" "How
were you born?"
"I know where you were born". "I know when you were born." "I know why
you were born." "I know how you were born."

In both these cases, the wh element gives us a rhetorical focus for the
precise nature of the requested information or the known information.

I know the town where your were born, the day when you were born, the
reason why you were born, the manner in which you were born.

In these cases also, the where, when,  why, and in which stand in for
the information designated as important, as in relevance. Pronouns tend
to do this in relative clauses. But in these cases, we are looking for a
nominal form for an adverbial function. (where, when, why, and how. a
place, a date, a reason, a manner).

Nancy's students ought to write articles. These are very interesting
questions.

Craig