ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 20:15:43 -0400
Paul,
   I want to echo Herb's praise and echo the sense that we can use
statements like this as a way in. If, in fact, NCTE has been softening
its position, it has been because of Brock's defense, Martha's tireless
efforts, everyone's "walking on eggshells." I have nothing but praise
for the troops on the frontlines. >
   In the meantime, I think we have much to gain by laying out very
professional and thoughtful advice of our own. As the conference
statement of support sums it up: advocating "Explicit knowledge" and a
systematic program.
   As a number of people have pointed out to me, NCTE is a huge
organization with much difference of perspective within it. I suspect
we have many allies in the organization.

Craig

You just triggered a memory: When we first published the grammar statement