ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
Edgar Schuster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:33:21 -0400
Yes to number 1
For numbers 2, 3, and 5, I'd say that some people learn to do these
things without direct instruction.  And how "hard" it is depends on
the individual.  (My dear wife learned how to read at about the age of
four, without any instruction.)
Item 4:  Where/When does "direct instruction" in reading complex texts
occur?  It only happened to me once, as a college senior in a course
called Colloquium.  An instructor sat at either end of a long table,
with four students on each side.  They would ask questions such as,
"Point out something PARTICULARLY subtle about  this book," and call
on each student in turn.  And then they cut us down, regardless of
what we said.  I'd call this rather indirect instruction, though I
learned more about how to read complex texts from this course than
from any other.
I don't much care for six.  Learning WHAT about language, and how
deeply?