ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 2009 12:28:15 -0400
   I would just point out as a way of countering the present flow of the
discussion that ALL the modal auxiliaries have been grammaticalized
into their current roles, and it seems silly to me to suppose that
happened because of formal rules or that this process is over. They
perform enormously important discourse functions, and it is reasonable
to assume that other structures (words or phrases) might be undergoing
the same process.
   For a very good article on grammaticalization that focuses heavily on
"am going to", see Joan Bybee's "Cognitive Processes in
Grammaticalization", in The New Psychology of Language, vol. 2 (edited
by Micahel Tomasello). "Am going to" is very paralell to "will" in many
of its uses, and Bybee traces that out as a very recent historical
phenomenon.
   We have had lengthy discussions recently about phrasal verbs and how
hard they can be to pin down. I propose that the modal system might be
thought of in similar ways, as a dynamic system pulling structures into
its orbit, some of which will show in-between kinds of characteristics.
   If we take "Semantics" (I would say cognition) and discourse out of it,
we may rob the discussion of all usefulness. But as I said in my first
post, I know I'm in a different place from other people on list.

Craig

"Ought" is a semi-aux also because it takes a unmarked infinitive in the