ATEG Archives

December 2014

From:
Gregg Heacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2014 19:40:40 -0800
Karl,

If grammar is about how words relate to each other, the grammar of poetry is more all-embracing than the grammar of prose:  The first line, without a comma, "so" could refer back to "dream," as in "remembering it as a dream."  This implies the intangible, ineffable quality of a dream, which leads directly to the irony at the end.  The poet eliminates the comma to expand the poem's meaning.  By breaking the rule, the poet respects for the power of convention:  The poem works because of this convention, not in spite of it––yet another irony.

Gregg