ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:41:46 -0700
Just to remind Craig and Scott, what I originally wrote was:

 >I think we will find that studying grammar helps with
 > reading ability, but I believe the main way to become fluent at
reading
 > is by reading, and progressing incrementally from easier to harder
 > levels ...

Explicit instruction in text structure of different genres is also
extremely helpful, of course. I guess my main point is that any kind of
instruction NOT accompanied by generous amounts of reading won't work.
I also really believe that kids who don't read a lot won't have much of
a chance at becoming good writers. It takes generous amounts of both
exposure and practice to automatize any kind of learned pattern. Much
internalization is going to happen unconsciously.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: 805.756.2184
Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596
Dept. Fax: 805.756.6374