ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:56:35 +1000
Shun, if we `went' somewhere `yesterday'
then we cannot be talking about a present
action: These words locate in past time.

`We are on our way to a picnic' is a present
action. `We are going to a picnic tomorrow'
is a present action (i.e.: spoken now)
that anticipates a future one.

I seriously doubt that tense and its aspects
can yield definition. Some general, orienting remarks
(for the purpose of teaching recognition of formations)
is the closest we can get to it.

Sophie