ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:43:20 -0800
If you interpret them as embedded content clauses, as was suggested,
they seem grammatical, but just because they're grammatical doesn't mean
easy to understand or appropriate in this worksheet. I would call them
garden-path sentences, simpler versions of the "The horse rode past the
barn fell" type.

That is, "see" can take either a noun phrase or a content clause as a
complement, but without the "that", we initially interpret "a rat" and
"my cat" as the complete direct object and are forced to reparse when we
hit the second verb.

I do agree that this sort of processing burden is unfair to impose on
kindergartners.

But that's not the only solution. You could also fix them with
punctuation, which might be more in keeping with the syntax of very
young speakers:

I see: a rat ran.
See: my cat sat.

Both of those sound like the sorts of utterances my 3-year-old produces
every day.

Regards,

Karl Hagen