ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:49:51 -0400
Peter,
   One shortcoming, I think, of error centered approaches has been a
failure to acknowledge how much background knowledge someone needs even
to read a typical handbook. Error has been approached as a behavior
problem, not a knowledge problem. We often use "soft definitions" like
"complete thought" rather than address directly what it would be useful
to know as a mature adult. (In a recent post, someone referred to this
as "training wheels." When do we take off the training wheels? At what
point do these soft understandings become problems in themselves?)
    Comprehensive grammar teaching and reducing error are connected, I
think, and we don't need to think of this as either/or choice. I agree
wholeheartedly. We are certainly not against reducing error in
writing. We have wider goals, but those goals should include mastery
of the conventions of standard English and the conventions that go
with representing language in writing (punctuation, citations, and so
on.)
   Keep bugging us if you think we aren't addressing this concern. It has
solid substance.

Craig>

 I understand that the ATEG position is that the teaching of grammar has