ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:13:31 -0500
Interestingly, the OED gives the part of speech of "but" as "prep.,
adv., conj."  These distinct usages go back at least to the 9th c.  As
to whether it's one word, or two, or three, I fear that depends on your
theory of the lexicon and what you had for breakfast.

Herb