ATEG Archives

September 2004

From:
Christine Reintjes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:11:56 +0000
Jed,

I knew I had information on this article because it was included in my
annotated bibliography required for my graduate studies. Anyway, I just
found an electronic copy that I thought I had lost.

I see I left out a page number for a quote in the text. I hope this copy
wasn't the final one I turned it! Anyway, here it is.

Pandey, A. (2000) TOEFL the test: are monodialectal AAL-speakers similar to
ESL students? World Englishes, 19(1), 89-106.

This study asserts the soundness of basic tenets of the Ebonics resolution
(1996) by the Oakland School Board, but instead of declaring Ebonics a
separate language it shows that “for Ebonics speakers, SAE (Standard
American English) is much like a second language.” (p. 89) Although the idea
of using second language acquisition methodology in bidialectal situations
is not new, Pandey’s work fills a gap in this area with empirical research
showing its benefits and applications. Using data taken from college
students in composition classes over a two year period Pandey makes
comparisons between monodialectal native speakers from the Inner Circle and
low level ESL/EFL speakers with a special focus on listening comprehension.
The hypothesis was “if ‘Ebonics’ is simply ‘bad English,’ then these
student, who must have been exposed to SAE via television and the movies, at
the very least, should be able to get the minimum TOEFL score of 550
required for undergraduate study at most US and Canadian institutions.”
TOEFL tests were administered to four groups before and after lessons on SAE
using contrastive analysis approach versus one based on error analysis. To
accomplish the teacher’s goal of helping her students become “bidialectal
code-switchers and code-mixers” the participant groups “were provided
‘comprehensible input’ in SAE and In SAE interlaced-with-AAL (African
American Language) in the auditory, oral, and written modes.” The results
show the usefulness of employing AAL in teaching SAE in conjunction with
pedagogical principles shown to assist in transitional bilingual education.
The results on the listening section of the TOEFL strongly suggest that
listening and comprehension are problematic for students’ who are relatively
monodialectal in AAL.

Christine Martin

--

Christine Reintjes Martin