ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:08:07 +1000
Goody! I love it when I can
disagree with everybody. Here goes:

The `adjectives' issue need not arise in

`My decision to leave my job was wise'.

Instead, there are two nounal sequences here:

`my decision' and `to leave my job'.

Both of them are described by the predicate
adjective `wise':

My decision was wise.
To leave my job was wise

In the same sentence both sequences
are the noun subjects of the copula `was'.
They are demarcated by the comma because
they constitute a list of nouns:

My decision, to leave my job, was wise.

Of course, when this infinitive phrase is intended as
an adjective it cannot be comma demarcated
from the noun it describes, `my decision', for
the simple reason that there is neither syntactic
nor logical reason for the demarcation:

My decision to leave my job was wise.

Sophie