ATEG Archives

April 2008

From:
Peter Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:01:52 -0400
Hmmm.  Mulling it over.  How about this:

Everything that was Craig's was piled in the middle of the floor.

This time, I don't think there is an ellipsis, for these two are
surely not grammatical:

*Everything that was Craig's everything was piled in the middle of the
floor.
*Everything that was Craig's that was piled in the middle of the floor.

So if "Craig's" is a determiner, that mean it is possible to have a
determiner that does not have a head noun following?

Peter