ATEG Archives

March 2009

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 11:39:23 -0700
Right on, Craig.  I didn't notice the parallel you mention, probably due to the fact that the sentence is not punctuated as a direct quotation.  No doubt, it could be interpreted that way quite easily.  Lack of accurate punctuation can be a source of vagueness in expression.  Perhaps you mean to imply that punctuation, being part of conventional orthography and not part of the syntax being discussed, is more easily overlooked and can be compromised or at least made to fit the composition at hand.

I cannot think of the phrase being moved at all, since the meaning has been so radically altered in such a process.  I think the idea of "movement" in the pedagogy of composition cannot be very close to the idea in transformational grammar.  In fact, that may well be the origin of so much misapplication of that grammar to teaching, or at least the approach being associated with certain constructs in that particular theoretical framework.