ATEG Archives

May 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2008 07:24:26 -0400
DD's right that it goes back farther.  We do tend to talk about Old English as if it was some sort of starting point when in fact it was merely the insular development of several dialects of West Germanic, and there was, of course, strong Old Norse influence, especially in the Danelaw, the north of England, after 800AD.  But the Latin reference probably is not related, except in the sense that both Latin and Germanic were inflected languages with rich derivational morphology.

Herb